Friday, October 1, 2010

Airbrushed Fridays: 1988 Topps #581

It seems pretty amusing at this point that I was actually thinking I might eventually run out of airbrushed opportunities to post about. Certainly, they don't make 'em like they used to and there probably is a finite amount of these cards available to someone like me, but I think I vastly underestimated the lifespan of this weekly feature.

Tito Landrum was a reserve outfielder who spent most of his career with the St. Louis Cardinals, in two separate stints split by a partial season with the Baltimore Orioles. After the Cardinals won the 1982 World Series, Landrum became a back-to-back ring holder with Baltimore gaining the crown in 1983. He would go on to appear in his 3rd World Series with the Cards in 1985, but we won't talk about that series at this moment.

Why did Topps airbrush Tito's photo? Landrum was a midseason acquisition by the Dodgers after being released by St. Louis with a .518 OPS. (Yes, that's really, really terrible.) To his credit, Landrum made just 5 errors in 530 career games, although a lot of those games were simply pinch-hit or late inning replacement performances.

What's wrong with this picture, anyway? Does this remind anyone of an Allen & Ginter "picture"? Is it just me? This is art, right?

(If you are interested in obtaining a card featured here, please send me an e-mail. If you have a card you would like to nominate for Airbrushed Fridays, please get in touch as well. I will require that I am able to see the card in person, either on loan or as a donation, so that I can examine the card and experience it in all its cruddiness.)

1 comment :

  1. I had to have helped you keep this alive....a skosh.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.