Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Contest Winners and Group Break Results

All the college football games are over for the year, which means the Bowl Pick 'Em Contest has also drawn to a conclusion. Congrats to AJ of The Lost Collector for taking top honors, while last year's champ - Stats on the Back - came up just short and took second place this time around. Third place goes to hiflew of Cards from the Quarry, while Joseph's GRAVITRON entry managed to be the least successful. Winners (and "winner"), please email me your mailing addresses so I can get your prizes out to you soon. I am aiming for getting these packaged up this weekend and dropped in the mail on Monday in order to avoid 2011-style procrastination.

Meanwhile, the cards featured in this post are from a group break hosted by My Cardboard Mistress. A bunch of random products were opened which led to me getting quite a variety of Cardinals cards, many of which I didn't own already. I kind of like this group break thing.

I completely missed out on the whole 2011 Topps sticker craze. I need some more of these in Cardinal form.

I did like the Legends of the Game inserts and wasn't so pleased with some of the other things Topps tried in 2010 and 2011. One issue was photo selection, however. It would be really great to see Topps sign up with some other third party with access to a lot of archives for some of these retired/Hall of Fame cards.

There are so many shiny and sparkly J.D. Drew cards made of all sorts of interesting materials. It's just too bad that the Cardinals go-to marketable young player at the time was J.D. Drew.

This is a great card and a great get for me. I am glad that Ozzie played in an era where there were plenty of photo ops.

Finally, here's another "manupatch" that goes straight in my collection. I wonder if Topps will still be doing this for this year's set. I can't even remember what this year's set looks like, but I'm pretty sure I was not very impressed.

5 comments :

  1. Thanks for doing the contest again! Even though I forgot to set the first few games, I did better than I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I did so well. I watched very little college football this year. Well the secretary that pick games based on mascots usually wins the office pool, so maybe the key is to not know anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rigged! I was SURE I had last place locked again. Despite not trying to.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.