Friday, March 16, 2012

Airbrushed Fridays: 2012 Topps Opening Day #39

Well, it's only Day 2 of the Madness (or Radness, as I prefer) and I've already lost an Elite Eight team. I guess that's par for the course. I imagine a lot of people missed on Missouri. I was also successful in picking VCU and Colorado upsets, but there are a few glaring holes in my bracket already.

Michael Cuddyer is a right-handed hitting outfielder and corner infielder who was a first-time All-Star last year after 11 seasons in MLB. He hails from Norfolk, Virgina, home of the Norfolk St. Spartans who were the benefit of the huge Missouri upset.

Why did Topps airbrush this photo? After spending his entire career with the Minnesota Twins, Cuddyer signed a three year deal with the Colorado Rockies this past offseason.

What's wrong with this picture, anyway? It's Photoshopped! That's what's wrong. Well, that and the 2012 season proper has not even begun, so there is no reason you would see an in-game photo of Cuddyer with Colorado yet.

If you are interested in obtaining a card featured here, please send me an e-mail. If you have a card you would like to nominate for Airbrushed Fridays, please get in touch as well. I will require that I am able to see the card in person, either on loan or as a donation, so that I can examine the card and experience it in all its cruddiness.

2 comments :

  1. I've said it several times on several different blogs including my own, but I don't mind the photoshopping on Opening Day. I look at the flagship set as a yearbook of sorts for the previous year, so I like league leaders and all stars and no photoshops. Opening Day is kind of a look to the future. It shows who will be where on Opening Day (although they missed Seth Smith getting traded). As such I feel the photoshopping is almost required of this set. Otherwise it is nothing but a carbon copy of the flagship set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to agree. I don't mind the images getting shooped too much for Opening Day. Most often, if someone that's not a card hobbyist sees one, they really wouldn't know the difference.

    This year's edition has some particularly fun shoops, mainly the Miami Marlins new garish unis and logo. They did a pretty good job of making those look believable. At least a lot better than the 1974 Padres / Washington "Nat'l League" variations.

    Also, without fail, my first packs of Opening Day every year contains a damn Dinger mascot card for the Rockies. I'm a seriously unintentional supercollector of that reject from "Late Cretaceous Park".

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.