Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Timeless Cardinals

I have to say that it's pretty embarrassing to post about a package I received a month ago and realize that I haven't held up my part of the bargain. The worst part is knowing that this isn't the first time that this has happened, it's not likely to be the last, and it's not even the first time I've made this admission recently on the blog. Such is life, I suppose, but I do appreciate the trade packages I receive and the patience of those who continue to send them to me.

Such a package was sent to me by Spankee of My Cardboard Mistress, which was high on the reward-to-quantity ratio. The card you see at the top of the post is one of the two SP cards that were (I think?) randomly inserted in packs of 1993 Upper Deck. I wouldn't know, personally, because I never pulled or even saw either of them. I still need the other one, but the main set is totally done.

This Ray Lankford 1999 Bowman's Best refractor kind of reminds me of the boxes that clothing from Nordstrom's used to come in back in the '70s and early '80s. Mirrored silver alternating with yellow... niiiiice.

Here's a Timeless Moments Chris Carpenter insert card, with a strange 'P' where the jersey swatch would be if it were such a thing. I must have looked at this card seven times before I realized it was numbered. Cards should never be serial numbered on the front. For that matter, nothing should.

Case in point: Upper Deck was very interested in gold stamping Troy Glaus's crotch, apparently. This is why Upper Deck no longer exists, for all intents and purposes. Okay, maybe not, but it's one of their many dopey decisions.

Speaking of dopey decisions... ha! That was too easy, wasn't it?!

Thanks again to Spankee, who will get something from me soon. I promise. No, seriously, I promise, and not in the "I want to spend my entire career here" kind of way, either.

2 comments :

  1. That Carpenter was like a photo hunt. I couldn't find the numbering for a while and I was looking for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad thing is, I knew where the Carp was stamped, yet couldn't find it in the picture at first. Glad you like the cards. No sweat on the return package, I've been slow lately myself. If I hadn't gotten yours out barely in the last PO trip, I'd probably still have it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.