Monday, July 8, 2013

Grich and the Rookies


I'm down to needing exactly 5% of the 1985 Fleer set thanks to another trade from one of my readers. Reader Jeff sent over erstwhile All-Star Bobby Grich and a couple of young upstarts to get me down to needing just 33 of the 660 cards in this set.


Long before he became Erin's least favorite TV broadcaster, Orel Hershiser was sewing his oats in the Dodgers rotation. I think he had some sort of scoreless streak of some merit going in the late '80s. And he pitched for Cleveland, didn't he? CLEVELAND!


Because of my love for the quirkiness that is Dan Quisenberry, I was a bit conflicted during the I-70 Series as an almost 10 year old. I was clearly no fan of Saberhagen's, though.


It wasn't all peaches and cream and '85 Fleer, though. Jeff also sent over a few Cardinals cards, including one I had never seen before. The Pacific Legends set usually contained, well, legends of a sort. I was surprised to see Bob Horner, in a Cardinals uniform no less, in this early Pacific design. These cards are as dull as dishwater, but considering how few Bob Horner Cardinals cards there are, I am glad to find another one to add to the binder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.