Sunday, October 28, 2018

Football Binders: The Keepers


Looking at the few things I kept from the Goodwill football binder. 

I'm not a big football collector, but as many of you know, I do have a stash of Oregon Ducks alums that I'm still working on cataloging. I also kept some Eagles cards, a team I don't usually make a huge deal out of around here. The years that these cards came from (first half of the '90s), however, is right in my sweet spot of Eagles appreciation. I miss the old kelly green unis, basically.


Mark Bavaro finished his NFL career with the Eagles. This is a Special Effects parallel, but unfortunately the "effects" were mostly lost in the scanning process. You can see that his name is shiny, though.


This is apparently a Colors parallel of Byron's 1993 SkyBox Impact card. The only difference I could tell between this and the base card is the foil "impact" stamp.


Here's a pair of rookie year Charlie Garner cards. Garner spent the first half of his NFL career with the Eagles, usually playing behind someone else, before going on to spend his two best seasons with the 49ers.


Former Duck Chris Miller, who now coaches in the Portland area, was featured on one of those early '90s Fleer insert sets which focus on a single player. I am quite sure I didn't have any of these before. I just need to find the rest of the set.


Apparently, the Collector's Choice football answer to baseball's "silver sigs" parallels are just slapping a foil team name on the card and calling it good.


One of several Fleer All-Pro inserts I kept, this one prominently features the NFL logo (aka The Shield).


Clyde Simmons was also featured on the 1993 design.


Former Cal QB Dave Barr was apparently drafted by the Eagles, though he never played a regular season down with them.


This is old enough to be in my collection already, but I had to keep it just in case. My Eagles cards just sit in a box, aside from Randall Cunningham, of course! (Sadly, there were no Randalls in the binder.)


Another Fleer All-Pro design, with a superhuman Eric Allen.


Fred Barnett was my favorite go-to target in Tecmo Super Bowl, which is where a large chunk of my Eagles fandom came from.


In between his lengthy stay with the 49ers and his better known Broncos career, Bill Romanowski stopped off in Philly for a couple of seasons. This is a strange practice photo.

In case you missed it, here's more about this Goodwill find.

3 comments :

  1. I can remember thinking that those Special Effects parallels were just about the coolest thing ever when they came out. I also remember them being a little more expensive in the pre-internet days, now they're just dime box fodder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff. Once upon a time... I tried to build that 1992 Fleer All-Pro set. Not sure if I ever completed it, but I definitely remember that set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, you nailed the Colors parallel.

    I had so much fun with Tecmo Bowl. Such fond memories of QB Browns!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.