Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Hobby Huntin'


The goodies from a 2006 Bowman Heritage box. 

Earlier this month, I had the opportunity to make the rarest of purchases: the vaunted hobby box. This one was available for a pretty good price and is a set that I at least passively collect, and needed plenty of.

I won't go into the details of everything I pulled, but you can check out what I'm still missing here.


There were three "hits" in the box, which sounds like is pretty much expected. My first one was this nice Chipper Jones bat card. In such an old product that's littered with "prospects", this was much better than what I was expecting.


There's probably someone out there with a full body suit of Todd Helton jersey pieces by now, but he was a very good player for a long time, so I can't complain about this. The pinstripe is a bonus.


Well, here's where the "prospects" thing comes into play. Matt Maloney did appear in parts of 4 MLB seasons with a couple of teams (Reds, Twins). At least the autograph is actually on the card.


There were some really cool box toppers that I had no idea about going into this. There was a full fledged two-sided posted with a mini scouting report for each of the 100 players in the prospects portion of the set, plus a checklist (in addition to the randomly pack pulled checklists). There was also the handy little sticker you see at the top of the post, which is meant to be affixed to one of those cardboard storage boxes you might store your set in. And there's also this pack, which I'm not going to totally spoil (check APTBNL tomorrow for details.)


I did pull a Cardinal out of the pack, though. Hey, Adam Ottavino... we remember you.

5 comments :

  1. I really like this set. With how hot Bowman is these days, I am surprised they haven't brought this set back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda wish Topps would bring back this set (and not in the online-only format they did at the tail end of last year). It's not as great as Topps Heritage but it'd be nice to see some of these old Bowman designs again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty cool old product. I liked those relics shaped like the Bowman B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever seen this set before! The relic cards kind of look like some of the customs that I've seen on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice relics. Can't complain about a hall of famer... and a probable future hall of famer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.