Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Super Duper


Another Topps online product, but at least 20% cooler. 
 
Topps Super 70s (officially stylized Topps X Super 70s, but I'm not with that 'X' thing) is the latest offering in a year that can only be considered the year of being online. Everyone is online all the time. It makes sense, I guess, for Topps to keep cranking out online-only products. This one happens to be based off of the hilariously cool Super 70s Twitter account, which has of course taken on life of its own and has its own merch store. I was excited, in theory, about this product until I looked at the checklist, which was very short on cards for my collection.

There's only one base Cardinals card in the 100 card set (Bob Gibson), which is still in transit to me. Instead of jumping in on some box breaks, I took to eBay to buy what I really needed because I'm extremely online. The two cards that did arrive first to me are both insert cards, although they look very much like the base cards and don't seem to be all that much harder to pull than the base itself.


The cards are similar some of the older, thinner Topps Archives cards. I think there has been an online-exclusive Archives set or two in recent years that this fits right in with.


The team font on the front is very 1978 Topps, but also includes some design elements from 1975 (the dual-colored border) and 1979. All in all, it's not a bad looking mash-up. Was Ozzie's hairdo really "happening", though? The sideburns, sure, but... maybe we should have gotten a whole "Slick Sideburns" insert set?

It's no '79 Ozzie Smith, but it'll do.

6 comments :

  1. I just ordered my first Dodger card from this set online. That's how I'll be collecting this set, picking off the '70s guys and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Ozzie and his sideburns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the sweet '70's design...i wasn't too excited when i heard about this product, but seeing the images makes we want to pick up a couple cards for the PC...if only for the hair style and sideburns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ordered a couple singles online recently, and I'm looking forward to adding them to my binders. But I have a feeling these cards are gonna be forgotten and/or a lot cheaper pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou Brock rocking those shades is a super cool card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I might be the only person who doesn't care for that Twitter account, it's one of only two that I've blocked.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.