Thursday, March 25, 2021

Crackin' Donruss Wax



#CrackinWaxMailDay 

Donruss '21 is another new product I'll probably never see in the stores. Fortunately, @CrackinWax had a couple of boxes up for breaking so I was able to at least sample this product that is usually cheap and readily available. As you can already see, I did pretty well with this break. It's so frustrating, however, to say that I'd probably trade it all for being able to actually open my own cards.


The base design is, with the usual caveat, fairly solid. It's very Donruss-y. When stacked against the current Topps flagship design, I feel like I actually prefer Panini's offering.


As usual, there are blue foil parallels. Blue and red always bounce off of each other to make a striking design.


There's a new crop of Independence Day themed parallels this year, which I've professed a fondness for in the past. These are just covered in blue stars and again have a sturdier cardstock.


The Panini rule is that catchers in full gear will always look better than the rest of the cards. Here's a good example.


On to the trade bait section of the post. This looks like some sort of parallel (purple?) and it's numbered to 2021.


This is a pretty fun one. This mimics the 1987 base design a little bit, includes an economical jersey piece and is a parallel version that I'll just go ahead and call Candy Cane.


Lastly, here's another Braves numbered card. If I recall, some of the hobby inserts are usually numbered to 999 while they have unnumbered retail counterparts. That might be what's going on here. In any case, it stands out pretty well.

3 comments :

  1. Somehow I always stumble upon a fat pack or two, and I hope it's the same this year. It gets pooped on a lot, but I always enjoy opening it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a hard time getting excited about this Donruss offering. Can't pinpoint why. Maybe when I see some in person, I will change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully I don't have to depend on breakers for my cards. Hopefully that changes for you quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.