Monday, March 28, 2022

Contest Update #2 and the DK Draft

 

Guess what? It's not good. 
 
After the second, pivotal week of the big NCAA tournament, things are really starting to come into shape. Unfortunately, many of our contest participants have ceased the ability to score more points, while only three of you still have your predicted champion alive in the tournament. I'm totally out as well, but I narrowly avoided last place (early congrats-ish to James20484 - please get in touch.) While The Lost Collector continues to lead the group, all of his final four teams are out. Meanwhile, maxleemar, Jafronius and ashbaugh88 have the most potential to move up. We do have, for the first time ever, a very real possibility at going to the tiebreaker score to determine the winner.

Today's card-o'-the-day comes from The Diamond King's recent card craft. This was a really cool idea he put together by having a group of participants submit an envelope full of nine cards, blind essentially, with all of the cards being thrown into a pool to be drafted among the participants. By luck of the draw, I ended up with the first draft choice and proceeded to snag this low numbered Jim Edmonds card for my collection.


This particular insert design is a tribute to the Polo Grounds, a place that Jim Edmonds and his fellow stars of the mid-'00s never got a chance to play in. It's retro for retro's sake, but it looks interesting and isn't a card you see every day. The only other must-have card in the draft for me was a Skip Schumaker autographed card that I had never seen before, but it was taken in the second round before my turn came around again.

I've saved the remaining 8 cards that I ended up with for future trades and such. It was definitely a fun concept and I wouldn't mind participating again in the future. At the very least, it gives a chance to swap out some things from your trade boxes for some other things you may not have seen or had before.

4 comments :

  1. My bracket has fallen, and it can't get up.

    I liked the Schumaker too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Edmonds.

    And sigh, another year not winning a March Madness pool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have wanted that Edmonds but knew where it wasn't going to last past the first pick, seeing you were drafting first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been away for a while, but thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.