Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Contest Update and an Arenado


Let's see who the leaders are after a busy first week. 
 
Let's just say that the opening week of NCAA tournament games lived up to its "Madness" moniker. Many top seeds fell, although just 2 of our 28 participants lost their predicted champion. I wasn't one of them, but my bracket is in complete shambles as I now have one of the lowest potential scores of the entire group due to losing all but one of my final four selections.

At the top of the standings is currently The Lost Collector, who is also second in "max points" currently. Max points is usually a better indicator of determining success due to the chaotic nature of the tournament. The current "max points" leader is 21Champs, sitting all the way back in 18th place. We'll see how that plays out. James20484 has the best shot at the worst bracket so far. Good luck to everyone and their brackets this week!

Today's card comes to us courtesy of the bougie Topps 582 Montgomery Club. (No, I am not a member.) I picked it up online for a reasonable price. The card vaguely resembles the 1992 Topps design, but also seems to be going out of its way to not look much like it at all.


On the reverse, it's explained that the special 2022 set "features a design inspired by the early days of Topps Trading Cards." I'm not sure that I really know anyone who would consider the grunge era to be the "early days" of Topps. They have featured the 1992 design several times much more accurately, as recently as retail inserts in the 2021 Update set.

7 comments :

  1. I had Kentucky going to the Final Four and they lost in the first round, to a 15 seed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been a tough weekend, but ,Michigan made it tonthe Sweet q6. Go Blue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I won a prize in this contest for finishing last. I would like to win one for finishing first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also once won a prize here for finishing last but last year I think I was fourth. Since my predicted champion (Kentucky) already lost their first game, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna finish as high as fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the March Madness chaos this year! It's made things very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Montgomery Club is based on unused Topps designs from the 1950s and 1960s. Perhaps that was what this was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never known about Montgomery, but I like that card.

    I'm still feeling okay about my bracket, as Auburn became my first Final Four team to fall, but the rest are still alive.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.