Thursday, March 3, 2022

On Pause


It's time to stop contributing money to MLB, no matter how indirectly. 
 
With the labor dispute in baseball apparently set to go on indefinitely, content around here may start looking a bit different. It might possibly get a little... slow around here, depending on how much longer this drags on. I am not planning on spending any more money on this game, including cards, until baseball comes back again.

We do have the annual March Radness contest coming up, and I still owe people their prizes from the last contest. All of this will still be happening. I just wouldn't look for a lot of new baseball cards around here for awhile. I might not be actively seeking trades as much as I usually would, although I'm not going to be too sad if stuff keeps showing up in the mail. It just stings a bit right now.

Around the height of the market surge for sports cards, when everyone was digging up their "lost" treasures out of their closets, I happened to find some absurd prices for what is mostly a garden variety base card from the 2013 Topps Heritage set, featuring Derek Jeter and a third year Mike Trout appearance. I know Trout's first Heritage card commands a huge premium for whatever reason, but it seemed to be a bit ridiculous to pay so much for this one. The card is now down to selling for around the cost of a blaster now, and I imagine it will continue to fall -- like all baseball card prices -- if things don't turn around soon.

Like Jeter, I guess I'm getting out of the game now. Well... kind of. We'll see.

9 comments :

  1. Well, the Eagles have three first round picks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been talking myself into and out of buying a bunch of Heritage boxes and going for the complete set for the first time since '14.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably going to be really cool. Hopefully it will still be around whenever this mess is over.

      Delete
  3. I cut loose my MLB.com subscription the other day. I should be able to cut back on current cards, somewhat, but I'm not going to blame the vintage guys for this fiasco.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't sworn off new cards yet but I have been tempted to just buy Panini products this year so I'm only buying MLBPA stuff and not MLB stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this card on Craiglist today being offered for $25.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've cut back a lot in regards to spending as a whole, so I could use this lockout as an excuse, but it's actually really budget cuts. Most of my hobby budget targets specific cards for my player and team collections... not new stuff. That being said, I did buy a 2022 Series 1 blaster, because I found them on Target's website. Don't see myself buying any more unless they're on clearance for $10/box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a blaster from the Target site as well. I'm not planning on buying more unless they show up in stores.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.