Saturday, May 4, 2024

Benefiting from a Purge

 

Rolling the dice on an unseen Blazers lot. 
 
A blogger who I've sent some basketball stuff to in the past, CaptKirk42, has been in the process of purging some of his collection. I happened upon his efforts to ditch a bunch of basketball cards earlier this year, and rolled the dice on a couple of team lots for just a bit of shipping fees.


Out of a lot of 70-ish Trail Blazers cards, I was able to find a home in my collection for 7 of them. Honestly, that was a bit better than I was expecting. Still, it was fun to dig through a random assortment of cards and get the extras listed up on TCDB.


Marcus Kennedy actually never played in the NBA, but he was a Blazers draft pick as mentioned on the back of the card. I don't usually go seeking out college cards for my pro team collection, but I will include them in my binders if one that fits happens to fall into my lap. It does help if my favorite team is mentioned somewhere on the card, as it does on the back of this one (barely.)


Several of the cards I kept were from various international versions of Collector's Choice cards from the '90s. Unlike the other big North American pro sports, basketball has a massive following in many other countries, so the idea of making Italian, Spanish, and French sets (to name a few) back in the day was pretty smart.


PJ's Party? Sounds awesome. This is referring to the team's head coach at the time, P.J. Carlesimo.


Those SkyBox Emotion cards were a bit over the top.


Here's the fourth Uncle Cliffy card of the lot. It's an Electric Court parallel from the 1993-94 Upper Deck SE set.

I also snagged the Raptors for a certain blog trading pal, and I believe the ratio of keepers-to-traders there was much more successful.

2 comments :

  1. Sheed and Cliff Robinson were good players.
    A Blazers lot without Drexler, Porter, Kersey, or Stoudamire is a bit rough though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And just in time for a small package (mainly '24 Heritage) to go your way.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.