Monday, April 4, 2011

Hootie Hoo

The baseball season is off and running, and along with it goes my nightly routine of updating the blog and watching Cardinals baseball. With a change in my work schedule this year, I'll actually be able to catch the majority of west coast weeknight games live for once, but most other games will be committed to VHS cassette tape for later viewing. Yes, my VCR still works like a charm after 15 years of service, and I'm officially the guy everyone gives strange looks to when I carry a package of blank tapes with me through the checkout line. (Those things are expensive now!) Someday I'll get the DVR - remember, I didn't even have a scanner when I started this thing - but for now it's just going to be this way.

Anyway, I'm not sure where I was going with this rambling nonsense, so I'll discard the awkward segue way and let you know that Night Owl Cards has once again delivered a fun trade package containing many Cards on Cards-inspired favorites.

One of the big shames (okay, maybe not so big) of Adam Wainwright's season being wrecked is all of the great looking cards he's featured on in 2011. This photo was from the 2010 Civil Rights game, which was unfortunately lost to the hated Cincinnati Reds.

Many trade packages of late have included a DK card or two, and this one was no exception. It also makes me feel guilty that I don't have my player collection list up for virtually anyone. I got pretty far with my Edmonds list by using the Zistle site, but I never found that the site was able to do what I wanted it to, which was to store several individual player collections that are easily distinguishable from each other so that it was clear to potential traders what cards I already had. Maybe I'm just not doing it right?

There's no light at the end of the tunnel for the seemingly endless groups of minis that I could collect, but that does not discourage me at all from taking them in.

Finally, here's a card with a local connection. Remember all of those Dan and Dave commercials? No? That's okay. You shouldn't watch television anyway (unless it's Cardinals baseball.) Dan O'Brien was a World and Olympic Decathalon Champion. I used to play Bruce Jenner's Olympic Decathalon on the Apple ][e. See? We're not so dissimilar.

3 comments :

  1. I've still got a VCR, but it isn't used much anymore. I didn't even know you could still buy cassette tapes in stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You are the best! You used the brackets to make the Apple IIe, like real old-school times. I remember that.

    Ah...Wolfenstein, Summer Games, Conan, Might and Magic, Karateka, those were the days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still use my VCR a lot. I've got a two-foot-high stack of tapes with episodes of NCIS, Blue Bloods, etc. on them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.