Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Up For Grabs Cardinalpalooza: Steve Carlton


Even today I'm still mildly surprised that Steve Carlton was ever a St. Louis Cardinal. I never think of him as such and I've seen very few photos of young Lefty wearing the Birds on the Bat. It's hard to think of the Brock-for-Broglio steal without proper perspective. After all, the Cardinals did let this Hall of Famer go for two years of a solid Rick Wise. I never knew much about him until this recent unearthing of an article showed that he is kind of a nut.

I have just a few Carlton-as-a-Card cards and you are welcome to any of them.


Your mom threw this out, probably.


I have always been a fan of these 1983 Topps Super Veteran cards. Topps did a good thing for two straight years when they issued a second card of certain players (in 1982 they were "In Action") before abandoning the idea. I wasn't smart enough to include this in my Cardinals collection back when I was a kid, but I am smarter than a kid now!

The list:

1983 Topps (Super Veteran) #71
2006 Fleer Greats of the Game #86
2009 Topps Legends of the Game Update #LGU13 [2 available]
2010 Topps The Cards Your Mom Threw Out #CMT-19

[updated 10/2/13]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.