Thursday, April 2, 2020

A Scarce One


A fresh batch of #CrackinWaxMailDay box breaks from @CrackinWax includes an SSP (super short print), new Gypsy Queen and more! 

Another week, another batch of box breaks. Hey, it beats going into a crowded store right now, doesn't it? Late last night I discovered that in one of the daily box breaks I bought into last week from Crackin' Wax contained a rare card of a guy I collect that went largely unnoticed. It was the only card I needed in the break from 2017 Stadium Club, but I'm super glad to have it. Apparently these are a 1:72 pack pull, which means you typically need to open a few boxes of the stuff to even get one.


The big break of the week for me was the brand new 2020 Topps Gypsy Queen. This is my first look at the new set and also my first look at Austin Dean as a Cardinal. I don't even think I caught any of his at-bats in the interrupted Spring Training. Of course, this isn't a real jersey that he's wearing (it's not a spring jersey, and he has no uniform number.)


I do think that the player's first initial right next to their position looks a little strange. It makes it seem like it could be part of his name.


On the other hand, you could say - here's DeJong, he's a pitcher AND a shortstop. Except that he's not. But there are guys who pitch and hit these days, so you never know.


Goldschmidt, P. 1st B. (?!) It does look strange. I am looking forward to a full year of non-Photoshopped Goldschmidt cards, at least.


M.P. Mikolas!


All in all, though, I don't mind this design. It doesn't really stand out in any way over other Gypsy Queen years, but I like it. Maybe I just like it because it's new?


I also snagged this Paul DeJong Fortune Teller mini(ish) insert from the new set.


I also was in on a 2013 Pinnacle break. Not much happened here for the Cardinals, but with this Matt Holliday card I was able to polish off the base set. I ended up with some nice trade bait, though, with my second (random) team.

5 comments :

  1. Yeah, you're right about the position being so close to the player's first initial. It almost makes your believe Yadi's middle name starts with C. (It doesn't... his middle name is Benjamin. This Cub fan had to look it up!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't noticed til you said that, but that was pretty weird seeing the initial so close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have my review of Gypsy Queen set to be posted shortly, and mentioned the initial/position issue myself. There are a few cards where it becomes humorous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Cards' powder blue uniform look really nice on these cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not big on GQ, and yeah the initial/position thing does look confusing now that you mention it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.