Monday, July 6, 2020

Cards Now With Cards on Cards


Cards from @TomSOlson take it all the way back to 1990. 

Around the time I was placing my first ever order at Card Barrel, filling it mostly with late 80s and early 90s stuff that I hadn't managed to track down yet, came a package from P-Town Tom of Waiting 'Til Next Year. In said package was a healthy stack of 1990 O-Pee-Chee Cardinals cards, finally quashing my ideas of overpaying for a box of unopened OPC cards that are probably worth less than the cost of shipping even as they can be difficult to find. (1989, on the other hand...)


I won't bore you (much) with a bunch of cards that look identical to their much more common (in the States, anyway) Topps counterparts from the front. Here is some text in both English and French from the back of Vince Coleman's Record Breakers card for fun, though.


I thought I was well stocked for Upper Deck hologram team logo stickers, but it turned out that I was missing this one. I know very little about the 1992 Upper Deck Heroes of Baseball set and did not know it came with stickers. 1992 was sort of an off year for me and collecting cards. I jumped back on the train a bit in 1993 before giving it up for an extended period of time.


Tom is the first person to send me cards from my 1990 Panini Stickers want list in many years. I think(?) I was actually peeling these and putting them into the album. I need to find that album again. If I ever finish it, I was at least planning on starting another one from a different year.


Here's a link to the list if anyone has more of these.


Tom also included a card of Al Hrabosky from a Senior League baseball set circa 1989 that I had never seen before. I know I've seen some (or at least one) sets of these guys from Pacific Trading Cards, but not this kind. I also didn't know Hrabosky, who recently ended his long run as an in-game broadcasting analyst for the Cardinals RSN, had ever played in this league. He looks at home here, strangely.

3 comments :

  1. I'm glad the Cardinals hologram sticker and the Hrabosky were new to you. You're right, the Mad Hungarian looks right at home there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That Tropics jersey is something else. Now that's a throwback jersey I'd like to see people walking around in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Al Hrabosky card is a new one on me and a classic. That hologram is pretty sweet. Good post.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.