Friday, February 4, 2011

Airbrushed Fridays: 1974 Topps #84

I hate you all! Well, hate is probably a strong word. While every post on the internet is about 2011 Topps right now, the Target I went to last night still has an ample supply of 2010 Topps Series 2. Instead of diamond-encrusted shiny new gems, you get a 37 year old card with an inch long crease in it. You're welcome.

Rick Wise was a two-time All-Star right-handed hurler who pitched for 5 teams over a 19 year career, including my St. Louis Cardinals. Although he was born in Michigan, he grew up in my town of Portland, Oregon and has spent decades in coaching at nearly all levels of baseball. A very good pitcher in his own right, he's perhaps best known for being traded straight up for Steve Carlton.

Why did Topps airbrush Rick's photo? After two seasons with the Cardinals, who by then were scratching their heads at the whole Carlton thing, he was traded for All-Star Reggie Smith.

What's wrong with this picture, anyway? I think they started drawing the 'B' logo from the bottom up, before realizing they were completely out of cap room to fit it all in. Or perhaps there was an ink shortage? In any case, I'll let Rick's forlorn look represent my feelings towards the whole 2011 Topps thing. In the meantime, I'll continue my efforts to ignore all of your posts on the matter.

If you are interested in obtaining a card featured here, please send me an e-mail. If you have a card you would like to nominate for Airbrushed Fridays, please get in touch as well. I will require that I am able to see the card in person, either on loan or as a donation, so that I can examine the card and experience it in all its cruddiness.

1 comment :

  1. Have to wonder why Wise wasn't put in the Traded set along with Smith, Fergie Jenkins, Glenn Beckert, Jerry Morales, Dave Cash and Jerry Reuss. Instead we got Fernando Gonzalez, A. Monteagudo (SP), Larry Gura and Kurt Bevacqua....

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.