Friday, February 25, 2011

Airbrushed Fridays: 1978 Topps #464

I probably don't mention this enough, but if you're reading this blog and you have a want list posted on the internet somewhere (or even one you could send or attach in an email), please get in touch with me. I'd love to kick some more baseball cards to the curb, when time permits of course.

Jerry Grote was proof positive that you didn't always need offense to be an All-Star. Grote was a defensive stalwart behind the backstop, but only drove in 404 runs in his 16 year career and put together a staggeringly awful .642 OPS. Try telling that to his two All-Star appearances.

Why did Topps airbrush Jerry's photo? After spending most of his career with the Mets, Miracle and otherwise, New York sent him packing to the west coast for two players to be named later who never made an impact.

What's wrong with this picture, anyway? As someone with literally no artistic (drawing) talent, I usually sympathize with these people when it comes to certain team logos. I can't sympathize with anyone when they screw up a Dodgers logo. How hard can this be? The 'L' and the 'A' are not interlocking where they should be at all. Not interlocking!

If you are interested in obtaining a card featured here, please send me an e-mail. If you have a card you would like to nominate for Airbrushed Fridays, please get in touch as well. I will require that I am able to see the card in person, either on loan or as a donation, so that I can examine the card and experience it in all its cruddiness.

1 comment :

  1. jerry grote commands that i leave a link to my want list.

    http://gcrlwants.blogspot.com/

    really, any dodgers will do. it's been a while since we traded, and i have some cardinals ready to go - just let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.