Sunday, May 22, 2011

Victory is Mine

Dozens if not hundreds of game-themed baseball cards have been released over the years and none of them have really interested me except for this weird little set. I don't know what it is about 2003 Victory that keeps me coming back. If I could point to anything, I guess it would be the multi-colored parallels. The Victory brand is strange in and of itself, as each year it seemed like Upper Deck must have tried something different with it. These packs are a common find in repacks, but I actually found two packs at a card show recently, covered in dust for 80 cents a piece.

Pack 1:
16 - Trot Nixon (Some guys just have baseball names.)
44 - Richie Sexson (Other guys are named Richie Sexson.)

21 - Shea Hillenbrand (This pack is a sinking ship! I have a Shea Hillenbrand story, but I'll save it for another time.)
70 - Brett Myers

133 - Derek Jeter Clutch Players (Not so clutch these days.)

88 - Mark McGwire Tier 1 Green (McGwire hadn't played in a couple of years at this point, so I'm not sure what this card was doing there.)

Pack 2:

29 - Adam Dunn

17 - Manny Ramirez (I'm not really into scanning Manny Ramirez cards for the blog, but the look on his face here was too much. It's almost as if he's feeling guilty about something.)
90 - Ben Grieve

36 - Roy Oswalt
185 - Manny Ramirez Run Producers (Yeah, him again.)

35 - Jeff Bagwell (So many Red Sox and Astros. It's almost as if the baseball card pack gods are trying to tell me something.)

2 comments :

  1. Love that Bagwell card! Too bad our trade is complete ha. I have buy me a couple of packs now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those greens for trade?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.