Saturday, December 10, 2011

Feeling Blue

I try my best to avoid all things Wal-Mart, and for the most part I'm pretty successful at it. I live in a progressive city that tends to frown upon big box stores inside its retail core, so one has to really hunt for these places and make them a destination rather than just stop by on your way to somewhere. After seeing the Target red parallels in the 2011 Topps Update set, I knew there would be a blue counterpart in the Wal-Mart exclusive packs and decided to at least see what they were like.

This is kind of disappointing, however. Topps apparently used the same weird metallic light blue that they use for the recent Opening Day parallels, minus the little sparkles. I guess I was hoping for something more along the lines of the 2003 Topps base set. Speaking of which, I really need to make some headway on that set.

Here's some other junk that I got in the five Wal-Mart looseys that I snagged. This one is going in the Play at the Plate pile. I don't actually know who Craig Gentry is, even though he was on the World Series roster and made some appearances. It hasn't been THAT long since October, has it?

This is just bright... really bright. Correia's card just barely missed out on my Pirates post from the other day.

I could complain about the Fish overspending when they don't really have a fan base, but I guess they'll figure out on their own why throwing a bunch of money around will come back to bite them soon enough.

I find the title of this card, "Career Grand Slams Through 2010", to be a little strange considering Lou Gehrig is on it. Sadly, A-Rod is close to catching him according to the back.

Okay.

I decided against collecting the Kimball Champions card, but I won't say for sure whether or not it has anything to do with my frustration that my scanner always cuts off at least one of the borders when I scan them.

I also got one of these code things...

...which turned into this. B-Webb 4 Life!

1 comment :

  1. I want Correia! I've got a mega-trade bait post that goes live on Monday; see if you like anything.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.