Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Team Swapping Hijinks


I find this card fascinating. I originally was baffled that Troy Glaus's 2009 Spectrum card showed him in a Blue Jays uniform when he had been with the Cardinals for more than a year's time when this product hit the shelves, but I assumed it had something to do with Upper Deck having a surplus of Glaus Jays "authentic material" and figured they were being lazy. It's easier to make a relic card that looks exactly like the base card with a spot for the swatch, after all, so the helper monkeys that design card products don't have to think too hard in between banana breaks. However, I won the jersey version on Listia (it's great, seriously) and now I don't even know what to think. Here's a different design and a completely different photo of Glaus also appearing in a Toronto uni with the jersey piece. Glaus played for the Cards for the entire 2008 season and the card makes prominent mention of his being a member of that team.


I foolishly looked to the back of the card for clues that this card at least contained a piece of Canadian stitching, but alas, that's not the case. It very well might. In fact, it probably does. However, Upper Deck will take it to their graves (and they have at least one foot in it at this point) that this card contains official game-used memorabilia of some sort. Whether or not this is Cardinal road grey or Blue Jay road grey is insignificant. When I first saw the card on Listia, however, I knew I had to own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.