Thursday, September 27, 2012

The "Worst" Group Break Ever


I'm by no means complaining when I say this, but I entered a group break hosted by The Daily Dimwit recently and walked away with just enough cards to stash in a plain white envelope. Again, this isn't a complaint about the break itself or my luck. To borrow the most worn out of tired expressions, it is what it is. I got what I paid for. The cards I did get weren't all that bad. I love this Lou Brock card, for example. And when it's coming from someone who hit a 1/1 bat hunk (not chip) card of a multiple MVP award winner that could probably sell for a ton of money, I vowed to never complain about a group break for the rest of my life.


And this is certainly not a complaint. Aside from a handful of Artifacts base cards I didn't really need, I got two pretty nice cards. One will make fantastic tradebait.


It seems like there isn't a collector out there that is interested in players from multiple teams that doesn't collect Cal Ripken and/or Tony Gwynn. I won't own this card very long, that's for sure. At least, not nearly as long as all of my modern Mickey Mantle things.

Again, this is not a complaint. Instead, I want to express my gratitude towards all of the hard work that all of the group break hosts have put in over the years. People like me really enjoy the opportunity to spend a small amount of cash on a chance and some cards from a team I happen to like instead of having to hit the big box stores for the same old packs of crap. A couple of regular hosts have bowed out recently, one apparently for good, so I'm hoping spoiled brats like me don't discourage others from hosting. And who knows... I've had it in my mind for quite awhile to host a different kind of group break myself and may still go for it when I get the chance.

Now, who wants this Ripken/Gwynn card?

1 comment :

  1. I'll claim the Ripken/Gwynn masterpiece card if no one else has. I'll send you a email for what I can trade for it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.