Friday, April 12, 2013

Airbrushed Fridays: 2013 Topps Opening Day #201


I was at a Dinosaur Jr show last night, so I missed the ugliness between the Padres and the Dodgers, save for a few clips on the MLB Network. I don't usually tend to side with the Dodgers in most matters, but am I right in thinking that Quentin (and the Padres by extension) were completely in the wrong there? It's really annoying that a talented player like Zack Greinke can get injured in such a senseless way, but maybe I'm also just ticked because he's on one of my fantasy teams. I'd be interested to hear about this from a Padres perspective.

Who is this week's victim, and why do we care? Ervin Santana is one of those extremely talented pitchers whose stats just don't ever sync up with his expected results. At this point, we should probably except the righty with the big slider to be just be inconsistent and leave it at that. The Angels certainly must have been thinking this when they flipped him and a pile of cash last October to the Royals for a minor league reliever.


Why is this a thing? Do you think we'll ever see a return to some posed, actually-in-new-uniform shots for newly acquired players? At first, I was somewhat amused by the Photoshop thing, but now that it's pretty much become the norm for sets like Opening Day and Heritage, I am growing tired of it. I also know that it's been years since there's been a significantly terrible Cardinals Photoshop in one of these early sets, and that makes it less fun for me.

Airbrushed Fridays is a weekly feature as the name seems to imply. If you know of a card with an altered photograph that you'd like to see featured, please contact me. You probably won't win anything other than a hyperlink and a half-hearted apology from Carlos Quentin, but you never know!

1 comment :

  1. They forgot to paint his glove blue. Pretty sure he doesn't use that bright red one with Royals blue

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.