Thursday, August 6, 2015

Heartbreaking Trade


I think I've used this title before, but I'm just going to go with it.

Longtime blogger, APTBNL founder and podcaster (what is?) Matt F showed off a card that I didn't even know that I needed, which became the starting point for a trade this past spring.


The card in question was not the lovely handled and cherished 1965 Topps World Series card you see at the top of the post. It was actually a piece from deep in the heart of the junk wax era, a 1989 Donruss All-Stars Pop-Up card. I have piles of oversized Ozzie Smith's of this ilk and I believe all of the regular cards from this particular set, but I hadn't seen the Whitey stand-up before. It's great.


Matt hit up a few more of my 10 Most Wanted needs, including this Izzy from the 2007 Allen & Ginter set. I wonder if there are any buyback Izzy cards in the current set. I put this card side by side with a 2015 model and they appear to be the exact same thickness, but I still believe something is weird about this year's set.


The long-hated 1988 Fleer Update Scott Terry card did not come off the 10 Most Wanted list, however. I needed this card, but it's actually the glossy factory set version instead of the... er... not glossy factory set version. This Terry was raised in a metal box, I believe.


Finally, it's the guy who somewhat questionably no-hit the Cardinals and the guy who sacrificed a rib for the good of the game (and his own comfort I'm sure.)

Thanks again to Heartbreaking Cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.