Monday, February 8, 2021

Contest Results and More Break Cards

 

Show up for the #CrackinWaxMailDay from @CrackinWax and stay to find out who won big! 
 
Well, that was certainly a Super Bowl. Was it super, though? Not so much. Before we get to the results of the contest here, let's check out some more cards from recent Crackin' Wax breaks.


Topps Chrome Update is the latest retail product that I'll never be able to actually find in stores. I jumped in a break and ended up with two of the three Cardinals base cards in this set. These cards might be rare to find in the future, but I'm not sure if there will ever be a lot of interest in this set for the same reason that the regular Topps Update set will be repack fodder for years to come.


Speaking of retail products that I'll never be able to find, I also got ahold of my first Topps Holiday cards of the season. This is a larger set, so I still have some cards to track down for the team set. This is actually one of the "metallic snowflake" parallels, but the differences between these and the base cards this year are pretty subtle.


Stadium Club Chrome is so nice looking that it's difficult for me to avoid it. I should probably stay away from these breaks, however, because it's a very expensive way to acquire a couple of base cards. I did end up with a nice refractor for a player someone else collects that should end up fitting nicely in a future bubble mailer.


This was truly a box of firsts, as it was also my first look at 2020 Bowman Heritage. Once again an online exclusive, this year uses the 1992 Bowman design instead of an actual vintage design. I have no problem with using this design, but this really should have been called Bowman Archives or something else entirely. Jumping straight into the '90s all of a sudden goes completely against what the Heritage brand is all about. Let's hold off a couple more decades until we start thinking about doing this sort of thing again, okay?


As you might expect, this follows the usual Bowman configuration pretty closely, with the same batch of veterans and rookies in one corner and a larger grouping of prospects in another corner.


Add in some Chrome cards, give a few some color and serial numbers, recycle some photos and you've got a set! Congratulations, Topps! It's another inspired effort.


In all seriousness, these boxes seem like a fun break and the cards are well put together. I did end up with a couple of cards from the teams randomly assigned to me that will be headed for my trade boxes, including this black and white parallel of 2019 rookie Alex Young.


This one is numbered to just 50! I'll have to go and look up who Spencer Howard is sometime.

---

Finally, let's see who won the football contest. Here are the results (lowest score = best score) based on combined differential between actual points for each team versus the predicted points.
  • 1st - The Diamond King - 82 points
  • 2nd (tie) - Fuji, B_DogGy_geZZ, Jeremya1um, and Brian - 84
  • The Lost Collector - 86
  • Brandon L - 86
  • Jafronius - 86
  • bbcardsz - 92
  • Bo - 92
  • me - 97
  • Brett Alan - 102
  • Trevor P - 104
  • The Angels In Order - 104
  • cardboardhogs - 106
  • Wilson - 112
  • Nachos Grande - 114
So there we have it. Given that no one picked Tampa Bay to win it all, I knew no one was going to be particularly close. Instead, we had a bunch of people bunched up with some predictions that were pretty far off. If your name is in bold, please contact me and let me know your address so I can get a prize sent out to you soon. As always, thanks for reading and participating!

4 comments :

  1. Ouch.

    That Super Bowl was painful all the way around for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations TDK for taking first! Thanks for the contest Kerry. Email heading your way right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats winners and thanks for the contest. I, um, did well with the first weekend of games, so that’s something, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did better than I thought. Thanks for the contest and congrats to the victors!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.