Thursday, February 3, 2022

A Thursday Night PWE Round-Up


Some extra-stuffed white envelopes leads off with some @BoRosny miscellany. 
 
Tonight we have an envelope from October, one from November and one from December. I'm finally starting to get through the backlog of stuff I have to post about, which means I'll probably get itchy and start up a bunch of trades again.

First up is some more good stuff from Bo of Baseball Cards Come to Life! I always think that I finished off 2003 Topps ages ago, but I do still need a few more. The Nomar card put me a little bit closer.


Here's a nice color-appropriate Eagles card from the 1999 Topps set. In some years Topps used the baseball design in their football set, but in other years -- not so much.


Hey, it's a Portland Beavers card! You don't see those every day. I believe this is from the 1989 AAA All-Stars set. I don't know if these sold as well as the team sets, but I remember seeing them once or twice at the Beavers games back when I used to go.


Here's a few more minor league guys. These are all Cardinals-affiliated, if you hadn't already guessed. 


Bo also set some vintage Cardinals cards, which are always appreciated, like this trio from 1968.


There's been more Curt Flood cards on the blog of late, and that's definitely a good thing.


I'm not sure a card from a Tigers victory in the 1968 World Series belongs in my collection, let alone one where the Cards were walloped 13-1. However, I'm not in the habit of tossing out cards from the '60s, so my binders might have to give this one a chance.


Next up is another batch of the good stuff from gcrl (cards as i see them). Along with a new Waino from 2021 Topps Update, there was another healthy grouping of set needs.


It had been so long since I added another card to the 2012 Topps Archives 3D collection that I had almost totally forgotten about it. For a few years there, Topps was putting out little batches of lenticular cards in one fashion or another, but it seems like they've dropped that for the most part. I'm sure they're not cheap to make.


The rest of the envelope was dedicated to 2012 Allen & Ginter. At some point, I need to make it a priority to finish off all of these A&G insert sets, but I've been more focused on Heritage inserts of late.


This is easily the dumbest and less essential insert set in the whole Allen & Ginter line, but for whatever reason I still decided to make a list and keep them. I suppose it's telling that Topps hasn't really tried anything this elaborate in the years since.


I really have no idea what happened here. I'm sorry about that.


Last up is a big batch of Philadelphia Eagles cards from Elliptical Man. Graham has spent his whole career (12 years and counting) with the Birds and has already played for four different head coaches (interims not withstanding.)


Brian Westbrook was a favorite of mine back in the day, when the Eagles had the triple threat ground attack of Westbrook, Staley and Buckhalter.


More Westbrook! This was right after Panini took over the Donruss brand.


The aforementioned Duce Staley checks in with this overly busy metallic version of Upper Deck's Victory brand.


I should become a Jeff Feagles supercollector. I wonder how many cards he actually has. He was the Eagles punter in Tecmo Super Bowl, which automatically makes him a legend. Plus, his name was  Eagles with an F in the front.


A couple of cards in this Eagles stashed were actually numbered, which is really cool. Donovan McNabb was QB1 for the bulk of the Andy Reid era, and while that never led to the ultimate prize, they were a fun team to watch.


The other numbered card is this Zach Ertz Longevity parallel from the 2017 Panini Rookies & Stars set. It's really nice and makes me wish that Ertz had been able to stick around.

3 comments :

  1. Glad you like them! Lots of Portland Beavers love on the blogs these days.

    Jeff Feagles won a Super Bowl with the Giants. Brian Westbrook was a Giant-killer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flood was a really good fielder, but of course he's more known for that other thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognize some of those minor league cards! They seem to be getting a great view of the country, from Tennessee to New York, and then New York to Oregon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.