Monday, February 21, 2022

Christmas in Februrary


Secret Santa stuff from @Fixxxer37 in the @CrackinWax holiday gift exchange. 
 
We've reached the point in the year where I start to wonder why I'm still talking about last year. One of the best things to wrap up 2021 was my participation in the annual Crackin' Wax gift exchange. I waited until Christmas Eve to open up my package as I was flying out of town the next day, and couldn't believe the motherload of cards that awaited me.


I stared at this one for a bit and thought that there had to be something different about it. I finally remembered that 2018 was the year that Allen & Ginter had put some glow-in-the-dark minis into the set (some sort of monsters theme?) If you look closely, there's a slight pattern in the background of the card that becomes more noticeable if you turn off the lights, as one would expect from a glowing thing. I had never seen one of these before, so it was cool to see.
 

I decided it was time to give on the scanner at this point. I tried scanning this card awhile back (for TCDB) but wasn't happy with the way it looked. I don't think I have the type of scanner that can accurately scan anything with some depth to it.


I've been a fan of the Archives Signature Series cards for awhile, but as I'm always at odds with myself over whether or not collecting autographs makes sense, I've never pulled the plug on buying any of them for myself. (The plug, it seems, has been pulled for me.)


Here's a few more "hit" cards. Walmart exclusives are always welcome because I don't really Walmart, and I've always loved Topps Heritage signed cards.


A large, large chunk of the holiday package was dedicated to my Topps Heritage want lists, and not the low-hanging fruit. These are stacks of inserts and short prints, those thorny thorns stuck in the side of everyone who collects these sets.

This was a very considerate lot of cards for my collection. I hope everyone else got something fun for Christmas -- assuming you can still remember what happened two months ago.

3 comments :

  1. Wow, impressive gift from your Secret Santa. I still have to post my TCDb Secret Santa gift on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Carbo is really cool. I like the Fan Favorites autographs quite a bit, but I could see how they might be problematic (i.e. expensive) for team collectors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your secret Santa hooked it up. Archives buyback autos are a cool product. I'd never pay the money to open a box, but it's fun to pick up everyone else's leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.