Monday, February 6, 2012

30 Teams in 30 Posts: #11

With tonight's post, we're finally two-thirds of the way through the countdown and have officially reached the territory of teams that I don't really mind watching. Washington's team is full of high profile up-and-comers. They also made a bit of a splash in the offseason, but ultimately did not shell out the Prince Fielder level bucks to improve their team. Still, with Philadelphia continuing their decline and some question marks in Atlanta, it will be interesting to see what develops over at the District this year.

The Nats, of course, used to be the Expos, but I'm excluding the Montreal days from consideration. If you want to know who my favorite Expo of all-time it is, it would probably come down to a three-way battle royale between... say... guys like Dawson, DeShields and Walker. Instead, I will just look at the 2005-present franchise.

Bryce Harper has a legitimate shot at becoming one of my least favorites in the game, but he too is excluded from consideration as he has yet to appear in a big league game. Snot-nosed brat.

Favorite current Nationals player: Michael Morse. You have to love the story of a former minor league Mariners shortstop becoming a de facto star out of nowhere. It remains to be seen if Morse, who will be 30 by Opening Day, becomes the next Jose Bautista or regresses to the norm.

Least favorite current Nationals player: Brad Lidge. Yes, I made special consideration for excluding Bryce Harper even though he's technically on the 40-man roster because we've yet to see him out on the field in Nats gear in a game that counts. Brad Lidge just signed with Washington and hasn't yet donned their gear, either, but he's Brad Lidge.

Favorite Nationals player of all-time: Dmitri Young. With such a short history to mine, I figured I could make an arbitrary pick here. Da Meat Hook, the former Cardinals draft pick, is kind of a goofball and made as much sense as anyone else I could come up with.

Least favorite Nationals player of all-time: Jayson Werth. It's not fair to go with Lidge again, I suppose, so Jayson Werthless gets my pick instead. The real losers are the Washington fans who are stuck with this guy and his enormously bloated contract for years on end.

The Washington Nationals usurp a spot at #11 in my reverse-ranking of favorite teams as of the moment I picked them a long, long time ago on October 4th, 2010. All of these cards are very much up for trade, so please contact me if you're interested. Also, Stephen Strasburg.

2 comments :

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.