Friday, February 17, 2012

Airbrushed Fridays: 1978 Topps #263

It's still Friday night somewhere... like here, for instance. By the way, I've been running short on airbrushed cards from the '80s. I've hit most of the obvious ones already (Mike Laga, anyone?) but if anyone who follows this feature regularly or just happens to be passing through, let me know if you have any awesome '80s suggestions.

Danny Walton spent nine seasons in the majors in eight different uniforms. This very informative webpage details his career much better than I could ever hope to. What a fascinating player!


Why did Topps airbrush Danny's photo? Danny Walton was, presumably, minding his own business when he was dealt by the Dodgers to the Astros in early September of the season previous to this card's release. He was probably used to this side of the business at that point, as he was traded five other times during his career.

What's wrong with this picture, anyway? Printing quality wasn't what it is now back in 1978, but I think there's more going on with Walton's construction worker-like batting helmet than bad ink could explain away.

If you are interested in obtaining a card featured here, please send me an e-mail. If you have a card you would like to nominate for Airbrushed Fridays, please get in touch as well. I will require that I am able to see the card in person, either on loan or as a donation, so that I can examine the card and experience it in all its cruddiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.