Wednesday, February 8, 2012

More From The Troll

The Collective Troll blog, or "Troll Might Rule!!!" as it's called these days, has been very good to this Cards on Cards blog over the past couple of years. I received yet another package from the Troll last month and it was almost entirely Cardinal-focused. As is my usual schtick, I've posted images of a few of the cards in the package because that's what these blogs tend to do.

By the way, I could really use another copy of this Jaime Garcia Topps Hertitage card as I am still in need of a lot of the SPs from this set and this copy only counts towards my (more important) Cardinals collection.

I haven't been really impressed with the inserts that I've seen coming out of the 2012 Topps product, but last year's crop weren't so impressive, either. That being said, these are better than the dual player inserts that just seem really forced.

Many of the cards in the package were of the late '70s and early '80s variety, and there are and were a number of holes in my collection from those years to fill. Tony Scott's 1978 Topps card seems to typify cards of this era: closely cropped and kind of boring.

Let's keep in mind that Fleer was only in its second year of issuing a full blown baseball card set, but many of the photos in the 1982 Fleer set were just terrible in quality. If you combined the photos from 1981 Donruss and 1982 Fleer into one huge photo array, let's just say you would have a huge blurry mess on your hands.

The only Jim Kaat Cardinals card that ever comes to mind for me is that Fleer card where the old school ESPN mic is clearly visible in the shot. I know I have some Topps cards of his, but this one is new to me. I always liked the 1982 and 1983 Donruss designs even though they were pretty similar. They remind me of when I first started collecting as packs from those sets were still reasonably priced in 1986 for some reason.

1 comment :

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.