Friday, June 22, 2012

Birds for Twinkies


Quite awhile back, rhubarb runner sent over a bunch of Cardinals merch in a big box that to this day I still haven't finished going through. He lives in Cardinal territory, and with much jealousy and admiration I am able to work out the occasional trade with him. The Cardinals and Twins, his team, don't seem like natural enemies on the surface unless the memories of that 1987 World Series are still fresh in your memory. I got a chuckle out of him sending me a big display that commemorated that occasion as we all know how that series turned out.

Anyway, the Metrodome is no longer a thing (for baseball anyway) and the Twins get to play in a pretty outdoor stadium like St. Louis has. The card at the top of this post comes from our latest Cards for Twins swap and is actually from the 2012 Topps Cardinals team set. I really like collecting those Topps team sets, and one day I should probably compile a list of what I have and don't have. I almost never see these things on store shelves myself so I have to rely mostly on fellow traders.


Every time I look at an Upper Deck Documentary card it just boggles the mind over how this even exists. It's no wonder Upper Deck is out of the game at this point. That's not a total condemnation of this set or at least it's concept. It seems like something I would have designed and have been very interested in as a kid. (I was a very nerdy kid.) The execution was all wrong as is well documented, however.


This here's a pretty sweet serial numbered Keith Hernandez card from the mid-oughts. Sometimes I really don't know what to say about a card, but I want to show it off anyway. I'm sure most of you know how I feel.


Boom! Nice font there, Fleer. It looks like something out of 1982 trying to be 2002. Instead, the copyright says 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.