Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Goals... and Why I Don't Have Them


The calendar has flipped to a new year, so everyone has suddenly decided to assess everything in their life at this precise moment. This includes coming up with "best of" lists and making resolutions and goals for the future. None of those things are really among my strengths, though. I have some ideas that I want to try both with collecting and this blog, and when the time is right, I will work on them. Right now, my biggest issue is getting organized, which is why it can take me a bit of time to get trades pulled together. In the coming month, the only thing I really plan on thinking about is reducing the amount of clutter in my home and optimizing the space that I do have. Cards are going to play into that, of course.


I keep accumulating more cards, but in many cases I still consider it a good thing. One such is example is this latest package from Cardboard Collections. I hopped in on a bit of a name-your-own-price cheapo group break held over there and in the process picked up a few cards from sets I had barely ever seen before, like 1994 Upper Deck Fun Pack and 2003 Upper Deck Standing O.


No inserts for my team were pulled, but I did get an Ozzie Smith card I'd been lacking. I vaguely remember the 1993 Fun Pack set, but by 1994 baseball cards would become foreign to me for the next dozen years or so.


The back of Todd Zeile's Fun Pack card seems to implicate him in a PED scandal. Nice.



Some of the cards I got were not from either set in the break, which probably means that Colbey felt sorry for me. I like getting Walmart exclusives in packages because it means there's one less reason to even consider setting foot in the human misery that is a Walmart store.


Finally, here's a pretty slick foilboard parallel from the 2004 Fleer Platinum set. It's apparently a "Platinum Finishes" card and is numbered 015 out of 100. It's always great to get a completely unexpected card like this. This is why I actually look forward to going to the mailbox.

1 comment :

  1. LOVE your comment about Walmart! You know I always try to toss in extra cards when I host a break, but yes I did feel bad the Cardinals weren't represented better - hence the numbered Matt Morris. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.