Thursday, January 10, 2013

Late Night Nachos


The always excellent Nachos Grande has a regular feature called the Trade Stack, where single unwanted cards accumulate in a (virtual?) stack until someone claims them and trades for them. This stack didn't get very high, as I jumped all over a Lou Brock National Chicle variation that I needed for my Cardinals collection. I'm not a huge fan of the art on this card, but any artwork is better than my nonexistent artwork, so I shouldn't be one to complain.


I couldn't resist the urge to turn this into a larger trade as I knew I had a few cards squirreled away that I figured could be sent to this Reds fan. In exchange for my undesirables, I received a nice bunch of 2012 Ginter and 2011 Heritage cards for my set needs. I am pretty tired of the most recent A&G set right now, so I just scanned the most annoying card I could find - a guy with a number in his "name". Stuff like this just makes me think of the Zero Cool character in the (apparently not) forgettable mid-90s movie Hackers.


Okay, this is more like it. One all-time great baseball player to calm my blood from boiling, and then a... well, I'm not sure what Josh Hamilton is. I guess the Angels are about to find out. I think the Mariners and others dodged a bullet here, as I wouldn't necessarily count on a guy like Hamilton to live up to his lofty contract, being that he has an extensive injury history and is on the wrong side of 30. (I'm also on the wrong side of 30, but I don't play sports professionally!)


On the other hand, it would have been nice for Seattle (if you're into that sort of thing) to land a big name player just to increase the chances of Felix Hernandez sticking around. Since I'm stuck with the Mariners in my local TV market, I do get tired of them being lousy. A good Seattle team means people actually talk about baseball once in awhile, which is pretty alright with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.