Wednesday, September 29, 2010

For Trade's Sake

It's good to be a Yankees fan these days. I have the bad habit of only rooting hard for them, like a true frontrunner, when playoff time comes around. The Yankees were my dad's team, and his dad's before him, so they're always a sentimental favorite of mine. I don't get too wrapped up in the regular season games that they play. It's too hard to be invested in more than one team in a 162-game season. For Card's Sake knows all about being a fan of the Bronx Bombers (or at least of their baseball cards.) Here's a few cards from a package that was recently sent to me via said blog.

This set was one of the first Upper Deck sets of the recent unlicensed era, which was stamped out completely after a legal battle. I don't really understand releasing a 2009 set after the first of the following year when you're going to be legally bound to brand new rules taking effect and diminishing your product's standing. That being said... don't stop sending me unlicensed Cardinals cards! I won't buy them (unless they cost pennies), but I'll certainly welcome them into my home.

I also received a little stack of 2003 Topps cards for the big bad Series 1/2/Traded collection. This one is going to take forever unless I start buying boxes. I picked Spooneybarger out of the lot because he has a funny name.

I don't know what to say about this set other than that it's ridiculous. It's Pujols, however, and it's got a shiny serial number on it, so that's good enough for me.

I always love getting a surprise memorabilia or autographed card. Mulder may have had only fleeting "Greatness", but he was great for a spell. That's better than probably anyone that you or I will ever know personally.

3 comments :

  1. I know you couldn't say no to a low-numbered Pujols card... even if it was from Moments & Milestones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spooneybarger looks a bit...baked. Duuuude!

    Most of Mulder's glory years were in green and gold. Sucks for you, but dem's the berries...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.