Friday, September 13, 2013

Airbrushed Fridays: 1976 Topps Traded #428T


The other Catfish?

Who is this week's victim, and why do we care? Jim Crawford was a lefty reliever and spot starter who split his five big league seasons over two franchises. He was also known as Catfish. Apologies to Mr. Crawford here, however, because if I pulled this card in the mid-'70s my eyes would go right to that little newspaper headline and I'd think I'd hooked myself a Catfish Hunter. Crawford was no Catfish Hunter, but by playing baseball professionally he has several legs up on me.


Why is this a thing? Crawford... sorry... Catfish spent a couple of seasons with the Astros before he was included in a six-player deal with the Tigers, a trade that involved the hilariously named Mark Lemongello. He presumably provided depth in the rotation and insurance in the bullpen, but his career ended very early at age 27.

Airbrushed Fridays is a weekly feature as the name seems to imply. If you know of a card with an altered photograph that you'd like to see featured, please contact me. You probably won't win anything other than a Subway Club card (missing three stamps), but you never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.