Thursday, January 16, 2020

No Bubbles, Just Cards


Round and rectangular. Both kinds. 

Have you heard, guys? There's some sort of huge scandal going on in baseball. Someone is impersonating Cardinals legend Omar Olivares and using his good name to try to sell bogus baseball memorabilia. Have you ever heard of such a thing?!

To distract ourselves from all of the Twitter madness, let's check out some cards from Bob of The Best Bubble. Bob is an enthusiast of bubble gum blowing on cards and other sorts of oddball things. I believe this is already the third package sent by him that's been documented here, all full of interesting Cardinals goodies.


I have to admit that I'm not sure what I was thinking when I scanned this card, however. Those silver foil background cards from a couple of decades ago never scan well. It's 2020 now, so I should always be thinking about future technology I guess, which should probably include better options for displaying cards on my blog. Maybe.


Bob likes sending me minor league cards, which is awesome. I feel like this card is a pretty good demonstration of the differences between Ozzie and his more famous twin Jose. Ozzie is clearly a huge dude himself, but there's something a little bit more awkward about him as you look at him trying not to be fooled by a Triple-A curveball.


I really liked these mini Bowman inserts from 2015, which featured the top 5 prospects from each team's system in a flashy refractory style. It's weird to see Stephen Piscotty wearing #11 here, though. It's a number usually associated with Jose Oquendo and (sometimes) Paul DeJong.


I am usually not one for... let's call them CGI backgrounds. Part of the beauty of the game of baseball is the big green field, right? That said, for whatever reason, I absolutely love this 2004 SPx set. It's probably a good thing I wasn't paying attention to baseball cards in 2004, or I might have spent a bunch of cash on this stuff.


From the flash of mid-00's Upper Deck to the present day Panini art canvas we go with this Yadier Molina insert from the 2018 Diamond Kings set. It's a good looking card, but once again the lack of logos makes me miss the MLB license pre-exclusivity days.

2 comments :

  1. Thanks for the shout out. Working on another package. Please add thebestbubble to your required reading blog list

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought last week couldn't get more interesting. I feel bad for those Cardinals fans who got ripped off.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.