Thursday, June 4, 2020

Mirrorful


It's business as usual (?) with another #CrackinWaxMailDay from @CrackinWax

Nothing about life has been business as usual for the past few months, but I've tried to keep the lights on here at Cards on Cards because it's been a readily available distraction. Once again, I picked up a few slots from the daily breaks at Crackin' Wax.

The most interesting product of the bunch (to me, anyway) was the 2005 Leaf Certified Materials set. These cards are by default, extra-shiny, and come loaded with a variety of even shinier parallels and inserts.


My scanner doesn't do justice to the "Mirror Red" cards (they're definitely a lot more red than this). They look really nice in person is what I'm saying. I picked up this Carlos Lee (numbered to 100) which is headed to trade bait land, along with the Scott Rolen jersey card (numbered to 250) at the top of this post. You can probably guess where that Rolen is headed.


These Gold Team inserts look pretty terrific as well. Along with Lyle Overbay here, I also pulled a dupe Pujols that's already been set aside for someone else.


The other interesting break of the week was another shot at 2013 Panini Select. I feel like this set has sparked a lot more interest all of a sudden due to Select's sudden reemergence in 2020 (more on that next week.) It looks pretty nice for an MLBPA-only set.


I also landed this tragic sticker auto of Oscar Taveras. Ah, what could have been.

Check back tomorrow for some more free things.

4 comments :

  1. Cool break! Those Certified Materials always looked cool to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Rolen! I have a few of those mirror cards and they're gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fine thread. When I was a kid, I had the entire 1959 Topps set. Those '59 inserts from Baseball Card Magazine are OUTSTANDING. I have a few of them myself. They REALLY captured the overall feel of the original issued cards, the subtle differences in the colors were quite noticeable back in those days.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.