Monday, March 22, 2010

Catching Up: Trading with For Cards Sake

Here's a quick contest update: Kansas lost and nearly everyone's brackets exploded. On top of that, a bunch of other teams won that shouldn't have and everything is all upside-down. At this point, I'd have to say that the Washington Huskies may as well be the favorites because nothing else is making sense. ToddUncommon is currently in 1st place in the Cards on Cards contest while reader Timothy has the most possible points at this stage. Also, I really hate to do this, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to disqualify anyone who didn't completely fill out their bracket from the last place prize. However, if I end up finishing last (very possible at this point) then I will enter all non-winners in a random drawing to select who gets the "prize".

Meanwhile, I'm in full-on catch-up mode on the blog. If I don't post at least a trade post a night for the next week or so, I'm never going to catch up. This package came courtesy of For Cards Sake. Go check out his 2003 Finest master box break here. I'm not sure what that is, but I'm drooling over the cards. Figuratively.

I really like the idea of the Fleer Box Score set, even though the design on the front is pretty busy. You can see a portion of a box score (clearly reprinted from USA Today) on the front of a game between the Mets and the Marlins, which is rather confusing. Even more confusing is the fact that the box score highlighted on this card over on the back is from an Angels game in 1998. I caught myself thinking, "when did Darin Erstad play for the Cards?"

This is a really nice looking card. If you want to know how to use sepia toned photos and shiny foil together on a baseball card without it looking like garbage, this is how it's done. If only there was some sort of HOT TUB TIME MACHINE to take us back to 2004 to save Upper Deck...

I never get tired of receiving posting looking at Jim Edmonds cards. This is also a reminder to myself that I need to get around to updating my Zistle Edmonds collection.


Here is the big surprise: a Chris Haas certified autograph! I found out through my own research that Haas was a mid-'90s first round pick who never cracked the big leagues. I really need to stick with my promise to do another Who Are These Guys post again.

1 comment :

  1. Glad you liked the cards. I have more Cards to send to you whenever I can. 2004 Sweet Spot is a great set, btw.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.