Friday, July 2, 2010

Airbrushed Fridays: 1988 Topps Traded #55T

I got lazy a couple of weeks ago (I had my reasons, I swear!) and decided to make you, the reader, in charge of Airbrushed Fridays for one week in the form of a contest. I'm here to tell you that I'm not quite yet ready to announce the winner, but it will be coming soon. Much deliberation has been made, and the votes are being tabulated.

Did anyone happen to notice that I never mentioned what the prize was? Oops.

Danny Jackson was a 15 year lefty starting pitcher who spent time with 7 different major league clubs. He was the winning pitcher in what was seemingly the turning point in the Royals come from behind World Series triumph over the Cardinals in 1985 and he also joined the Cardinals late in his career (in the mid-'90s.) He was a two-time all-star and also led the league in errors committed by a pitcher in 1992 with 8.

Why did Topps airbrush Danny's photo? There's absolutely no good reason for this. He was an offseason acquisition as the back of the card tells you, and in 1988 he won a career high 23 games. He pitched 15 complete games that season! Imagine something like that happening now. It's not like there were few opportunities to get an updated Danny Jackson photo.

What's wrong with this picture, anyway? The 'C' logo is centered and lineup up parallel to the border of the card. Unfortunately, the cap itself is not.

(If you are interested in obtaining a card featured here - but not this one - please send me an e-mail. If you have a card you would like to nominate for Airbrushed Fridays, please get in touch as well. I will require that I am able to see the card in person, either on loan or as a donation, so that I can examine the card and experience it in all its cruddiness.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.