Sunday, July 11, 2010

Lookie What I Found


I hit the $1.59 bargain bin at Target over the weekend and had a bit of fun. I picked up a few packs of 2008 Topps Heritage High Series (not terribly successful), a few packs for tomorrow night's (Tuesday's) post and also got four packs of 2008 Bowman Draft Picks & Prospects. I hesitated for a minute on the Bowman packs, but Bowman is usually good for an adventure at least so I figured I'd give it a shot. All I can say is this: it'd be nice if I actually pulled someone from a team that people collect, let alone a player who is still active in professional baseball. Ugh.

Moving on to something a bit more positive, I'd like to talk about A Pack To Be Named Later for a minute. In case you haven't been, APTBNL is a collaborative effort by 50+ writers who share the contents of a new pack with each post. And by "new", I mean, something that hasn't been written about before on the blog. It's truly a great online replacement for getting your pack breaking fix when it's socially unacceptable for you to drive to Target or the local card shop (or when you're broke, it's 3:00 AM, etc.) Matt (of Heartbreaking Cards fame), the founder of APTBNL, is running a Junk Wax Giveaway contest which you should totally enter. In the meantime, in the style of a post I might write for A Pack To Be Named Later (just cards and no frills), here's a 1996 Score Series 2 pack for fun.

459 - Mark Leiter (Aww, how cute. I forgot that Al had a major league brother. Mark Leiter was coming off of his most productive season to date.)

515 - Greg Maddux National League Checklist (Whoever decided it would be good to only list cards on a checklist by the league the players were in was probably a little crazy.)

430 - Scott Cooper (I don't really remember Cooper as a Cardinal, but I just read an interesting All-Star themed article the other day that mentioned him.)

465 - Phil Nevin (I like the reflection in Nevin's shades. I don't like the Tigers logo. What were they thinking back then?)

506 - C.J. Nitkowski

501 - Terrell Wade

409 - Jason Bere

440 - Jeff Reboulet (Former Portland Beaver. Man, I'm going to miss the Beavers. At least when they moved out of town last time it coincided with me leaving town for college myself.)

517 - Tom Glavine Chase Program Checklist (It seems weird that a base Score product would have inserts - or "chase program" cards as they called it.)

403 - Tom Pagnozzi (A play at the plate, perhaps? I'm not really sure what's going on here and I don't think there's any hope of identifying the other player beyond the fact that he probably played for Pittsburgh.)

1 comment :

  1. Any hit in retail is a surprise so congrats. Nice Pagnozzi patp, that is definitely a Pirate (the logo on the helmet confirms it). Someone out there could probably tell you who that is.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.