Saturday, November 15, 2008

Good Luck Ducks, Week 12

Huge game today. Danny O'Neil only comes out for huge games. The Ducks are 7-3 and still have designs on a 10-win season. They also have revenge on their minds. Dennis Dixon went down for good during last season's meeting in Tucson while Wildcats fans taunted the injured QB every step of the way. Arizona also blew out the Ducks in the last meeting in Eugene two seasons ago.

Danny O'Neil was the quarterback that led the Ducks to their surprise Rose Bowl bid in 1994. Much has been made, deservedly, of The Pick where Kenny Wheaton led the Ducks to a win over Washington. But it was a week later than the Ducks hung on by a fingernail over Arizona with a 10-9 victory, led by a touchdown pass from O'Neil to tight end Josh Wilcox, a reception that happened right in front of my seat in the crowd. (Oddly enough, I never would have had that seat if I hadn't been late in getting my student ticket. I got stuck with a plain old GA ticket instead, and made sure to get there early so I could get in the front row.) Both teams had some of the stingiest defenses in college football at the time, the Cats with their Desert Swarm and the Ducks' Gang Green. Whenever I see a key late season matchup between these two teams, I always fondly look back at that game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.