Sunday, April 4, 2010

My Cardboard Junkie 2010 Topps Heritage Blaster Fantasy Baseball Team

I haven't chosen a team name yet, but I will have a poll up in just a few moments. You can decide!

C - Joe Mauer
C - Jorge Posada
1B - Mark Teixeira
2B - Brandon Phillips
SS - Asdrubal Cabrera
3B - Mark Reynolds
OF - Matt Kemp
OF - Carlos Quentin
OF - Julio Borbon
CI - Derrek Lee
MI - Jose Reyes
OF - Jay Bruce
UT - Joey Votto
P - Wandy Rodriguez
P - Johnny Cueto
P - Jake Peavy
P - Edwin Jackson
P - Ryan Dempster
P - Andy Pettitte
P - Francisco Rodriguez
MGR - Ozzie Guillen
Team - Minnesota Twins
SUPAR MOJO BONUS - 6 points for the stamp card! Hooray!

Some notes:
  • Choosing the Mauer All-Star SP over the Jacoby Ellsbury New Age Performer was rather difficult, because Ellsbury steals a ton of bases and my outfield was fairly weak. However, Mauer is on a different plane, offensively, than anyone else at his position and he's easily the most coveted player I own on any of my other fantasy teams.
  • I took a gamble on Jose Reyes. I would have had a harder time leaving him out altogether if there weren't bench slots. I literally had no other choices at 2B besides Phillips, but had plenty of shortstops to choose from.
  • Jay Bruce? I know. Ugh.
  • I only have one closer, because... that's all I got. Ideally, in a team with 7 pitchers I'd probably go with two closers, but I don't exactly get to rub out someone's position and make them a closer and expect them to actually get save. It'll be just my luck if, say, Gil Meche gets converted to closer and ends up with like 40 saves for... oh, who am I kidding? It's the Royals. No one is getting 40 saves for that club.
  • I took Ozzie Guillen over Manny Acta (Cleveland) and Bobby Cox. Cox isn't going anywhere and I think the Braves have a fairly decent chance of being decent this year with all of their young talent, but I wouldn't be surprised if the White Sox finally get tired of Guillen's act and give him the shove out the door. I don't think Acta gets fired because it's his first season with Cleveland and he's supposedly a great guy and all, but I bet Cleveland does continue to lose a fairly sizeable chunk of games.
  • I picked the Twins as my team because they're usually in the playoffs or at least knocking on the door. It was a safe pick, I suppose.
  • Isn't it awesome to be talking about baseball again? Cardinals play tomorrow (or later today for some of you) at 10:00 AM PDT/noon CDT on ESPN. Go Cards!

2 comments :

  1. The only closer I got was Joe Nathan....umm, no saves for me buddy! Oh well, after seeing some of the other teams, I'm going to be in the bottome half of the league. My outfielders were terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only pulled one closer too. Only I chose not to put him on my team since one closer wasn't enough to get many saves and a SP can get me wins and strikeouts.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.