Wednesday, April 25, 2012

30 Teams in 30 Posts: #6


With the news coming down that Michael Pineda is out for the season with a serious shoulder injury, it just might be that the Seattle Mariners finally made a great trade. I did not see that coming. I suppose that the Yankees probably didn't, either.


The Mariners have always been the closest team in proximity to me, but I've never really felt a close allegiance to any Seattle franchise. There's always been a bit of a rivalry between my city (Portland) and Seattle as it is, so it wasn't difficult to me to latch on to another franchise with no geographical ties to my community. That being said, I usually try to make it up to Safeco Field each year to catch a game and they're not really a hard team to root for. It would just be nicer if they were, uh, better.


Favorite current Mariners player: Brendan Ryan. Ryan is one of the best defensive shortstops in the game, but he can't hit his way out of the proverbial wet paper bag. This got him run out of St. Louis, sadly. He's also a bit of a nut. That also probably got him run out of St. Louis.


Least favorite current Mariners player: Brandon League. Yeah, something about his appearance just bothers me. I guess I'm superficial that way.


Favorite Mariners player of all-time: Edgar Martinez. With apologies to Mr. Griffey, who was pretty awesome in his day, this one goes to the best DH of all-time. And as much as I hate that the DH is a position, if you're the best at something you deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.


Least favorite Mariners player of all-time: Bret Boone. Talk about suspicious late career peak! Geez. I never really liked him, anyway.


I do miss Dave Niehaus.

The Seattle Mariners fly away at #6 in my reverse-ranking of favorite teams as of the moment I picked them a long, long time ago on October 4th, 2010. All of these cards are very much up for trade, so please contact me if you're interested.

1 comment :

  1. Any of these still available? It's probably about time I send some stuff your way again.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.