Friday, April 6, 2012

Airbrushed Fridays: 1974 Topps #621


Baseball is a thing again! This is my favorite time of the year.

Bernie Carbo was a journeyman outfielder who had some pivotal moments in the 1976 World Series as a member of the Red Sox. He also notoriously battled drug abuse throughout his years in MLB and beyond. All told, he logged 12 seasons in the majors, often returning to teams for which he had previously played for a second go around.


Why did Topps airbrush Bernie's photo? Carbo was traded by my beloved Cardinals along with Rick Wise for Reggie Smith and someone named Ken Tatum in the offseason prior to 1974. Mostly, though, I think they just wanted to use this picture of his moustache.

What's wrong with this picture, anyway? It looks like someone took a dark felt tip marker to the brim of Carbo's cab and those stripes around his collar. Whenever you see someone looking skyward, it's pretty much a no-brainer that it's an airbrushed card. It makes me wonder if they specifically took extra photos of players in case they needed something easy to airbrush in the future.

If you are interested in obtaining a card featured here, please send me an e-mail. If you have a card you would like to nominate for Airbrushed Fridays, please get in touch as well. I will require that I am able to see the card in person, either on loan or as a donation, so that I can examine the card and experience it in all its cruddiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.