Friday, April 13, 2012

Airbrushed Fridays: 2012 Topps Opening Day #76


I'm not quite settled in to this baseball season. Something seems a bit off about it. I wonder if it could have anything to do with the Dodgers' 6-1 record so far this season. That seems mighty fishy if you ask me.

Gio Gonzalez is a left-handed starting pitcher who was originally a White Sox draftee. He made the All-Star team for the first time after four seasons with Oakland and has been involved in some pretty high profile trades in his career.


Why did Topps airbrush Gio's photo? Gonzalez was one of the key offseason acquisitions by a promising young Washington Nationals team. He's expected to settle in as their #2 starter behind the rebuilt Stephen Strasburg.

What's wrong with this picture, anyway? Something seems really disproportionate about that huge "47" on Gonzalez's jersey. As is well understood, I'm sure, Gio had not appeared in a game with Washington when this set was created and this is likely a Photoshopped Athletics jersey.

If you are interested in obtaining a card featured here, please send me an e-mail. If you have a card you would like to nominate for Airbrushed Fridays, please get in touch as well. I will require that I am able to see the card in person, either on loan or as a donation, so that I can examine the card and experience it in all its cruddiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.