Thursday, August 2, 2012

30 Teams in 30 Posts: #3


This list is really showing its age now. Since I compiled the list, the Padres AAA affiliate up and left town (i.e. Portland) for Tucson and I no longer have the attachment I once had to this franchise.


Even so, I have nothing against San Diego. They've been offensively challenged for quite awhile, notably since Petco Park became their home. They're in a non-threatening division (NL West) relative to St. Louis and they've mostly been clear of notorious characters like Barry Bonds.

Favorite current Padres player: Chase Headley. I have fond memories of using my first non-loaner digital camera on taking blurry photos of Headley in Portland during his prospect days. He's not quite Tony Gwynn or anything, but he's a solid MLB player.


Least favorite current Padres player: Kip Wells. Are you serious? Someone is still employing this clown? 2007 was one of the least pleasant Cardinals seasons that I've ever endured and Kip's presence in the rotation was pretty much a microcosm of the entire debacle.


Favorite Padres player of all-time: Tony Gwynn. Ozzie didn't truly become Ozzie until he was a Cardinal and I'm tired of picking Dave Winfield for every single team he modeled a jersey for, so I'm going with Gwynn here. He was ridiculously consistent with the bat and always hit for a high average.


Least favorite Padres player of all-time: Roberto Alomar. Spit or no spit, I never really liked the guy. I had tons of his cards growing up and no one wanted to trade for them. His brother Sandy Jr. was supposed to be the next big thing and he wasn't, either. Stupid Alomars.

The San Diego Padres appear at #3 in my reverse-ranking of favorite teams as of the moment I picked them a long, long time ago on October 4th, 2010. All of these cards are very much up for trade, so please contact me if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.