Friday, November 9, 2012

Airbrushed Fridays: 1974 Topps #285


It's award season now, which means there will be much consternation and debate over who deserves what. I thought about doing a Cards on Cards 2012 Awards, but I'm not sure that I have the energy for sports right now. Don't get me wrong, though - the urge to collect cards hasn't gone away. I am just in a bit of a sports lull right now. I still can't get into the NFL (though that could change if Michael Vick ever gets run out of Philly) and the Blazers look to be in for a really long season. The Ducks are the only thing keeping me going right now, but the outcome of their games is rarely ever in doubt these days. Well, hey, did you notice that it's getting colder outside? It sure is!

Who is this week's victim, and why do we care? Reggie Smith was a seven-time All-Star outfielder who I first became aware of at the tender age of five years old. My first baseball memory was rooting fervently against the Dodgers in the 1981 World Series as my dad (and his dad) was a big time Yankees fan. My best friend's sister at the time was rooting for the Dodgers and taunting us every which way. I guess it's easy for a 5th grade girl to get one over on us 1st graders. Still, Reggie made his mark first as a member of the Yankee-hating Boston Red Sox.


Why does this card exist? Boston traded Reggie Smith to the Cardinals after the 1973 season and promptly put together his first and only 100 RBI season. St. Louis never really made an impact in the '70s, however, and Smith would move on to the Dodgers to earn his World Series ring.

Airbrushed Fridays is a weekly feature as the name seems to imply. If you know of a card with an altered photograph that you'd like to see featured, please contact me. You probably won't win anything other than a hyperlink and some Romney/Ryan '12 bumper stickers, but you never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.