Wednesday, December 29, 2010

30 Teams in 30 Posts: #25

Awhile back, I recall a question being posed to card bloggers - something about how you would fix MLB or what sorts of changes would you make if you had absolute power over the league. I'm not very good with homework assignments, so I never really answered the question officially. One place I would definitely start is with returning the Milwaukee Brewers to the American League. Maybe it's just the principle of the issue that I have a problem with, but it never sat well with me that the acting commissioner of the league decided to move his own ballclub to the NL. A newly realigned MLB would see a minimum of two of its teams playing an interleague series at all times, but this wouldn't necessarily increase the amount of interleague games. It could actually reduce it.

Nevertheless, the Brewers were probably the least offensive team to me in the NL Central. How did they fall so far down this list? I think it really began with the shirt-untucking thing. You know... the tradition that Mike Cameron and company started where the entire team would untuck its jerseys after a victory. It looks stupid and it lacks class in what is basically the only major sport that is big on class anymore. Prince Fielder and his crazy tantrums are obnoxious. And Rickie Weeks... Rickie Weeks! That guy is a superhero when he takes the field against the Birds on the Bat.

You may have noticed that the loot available is a little thin this time around. I haven't done a ton of Brewers trades in my day, but for whatever reason things are so desperate that I resorted to scanning a very off-center 1978 O-Pee-Chee Sal Bando card. The card isn't nearly as bad as the scan makes it out to be, but it's still goofy. There were no takers for the Phillies cards I posted last time after an otherwise successful run during this series, so I'm not really expecting a lot here.

Favorite current Brewers player: Zack Greinke. Because... well... I haven't seen him in a Brew Crew uniform yet. That will eventually make me sad.

Least favorite current Brewers player: Rickie Weeks. This one is a no-brainer. He's a Cardinals nemesis. Heck, he's MY nemesis. I had no idea who he was when I added him to my fantasy team based on Yahoo's recommendation (uhh... thanks?) many years ago, and he's been nothing but trouble ever since.

Favorite Brewers player of all-time: Robin Yount. My very first baseball card ever was a 1981 Topps Robin Yount that came inside some sort of cereal box. I can't hate him at all for that reason.

Least favorite Brewers player of all-time: Weeks. Or Bud Selig. Take your pick.

The Milwaukee Brewers slink in at #25 in my reverse-ranking of favorite teams as of the moment I picked them on October 4th, 2010. All of these cards are very much up for trade, so please contact me if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.