Thursday, December 9, 2010

Moving in Directions

The winter meetings are wrapping up and it seems like there's been more activity by this point in the year than there has been in past years. Of course, there haven't been a ton of high profile free agents or tradeable players this year like there has been in some past years. With Carl Crawford signed by those chumps in Beantown, the focus has pretty much shifted to Cliff Lee, the 65 billion dollar Pujols extension, and teams like the Cardinals trying to fill out the back end of their bullpen and figure out who is going to be the backup catcher. (Personally, I thought the Bryan Anderson plan was going to be fine, but what do I know?)

This card, which I'd never seen before in my life, was provided by Smed's Baseball Card Blog if I'm not mistaken. I bought very little 1992 Upper Deck for some reason. It seems like I have mountains of cards from every other set issued between 1988 and 1992, but for whatever reason I never took to this particular set. I don't think the card's subjects, Marc Newfield and Rondell White, were ever traded for each other or appeared with the opposing team featured here, so the card is kind of confusing. I guess they're supposed to be crossing paths somewhere in between Seattle and Montreal, which I would estimate at being a bit north of Minneapolis. It must have been summertime to be such a nice, sunny day in Minnesota. That also means that they must be late... late for Opening Day!

Let's hope, for my sake, that the Cardinals come to their senses and hang onto Brendan Ryan and don't spend on a backup catcher. I think there are bigger fish to fry right about now, and it would be downright stupid to give up on one of the best defensive shortstops in the league for a player who isn't going to make a significant contribution to the team. I don't see them getting a lot of value in return, so where is the motivation to move him?

1 comment :

  1. I don't know why I gave that to you, except I thought it was weird.

    Or I had about a dozen of 'em.

    Probably both.

    BTW, check your mail in about 7-10 days. Some A&G goodies will be on the way shortly.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.